How to Hemisection a Brain
Brain Hemisection – (Division of Hemispheres)
To divide the brain along the sagittal plane:
- Place the brain in either a cutting mold/template designed for this purpose or a device that will guide the razor blade perpendicular to the dorsal surface of the brain.
- To ensure that the blade will not cut the medial cortex of one of the hemispheres, dry the surface of the brain and using a dry tissue (e.g. Kimwipe) on each hemisphere.
- Slightly spread the hemispheres to allow the blade to go between them.
- Proceed with the division by using a downward stroke and slice.
- Do not saw through the tissue, rather use one full slicing stroke.
- Place the hemispheres in their intended containers.