For many "traditional" stains, the tissues may remain in the perfusion fix, for all other intended stains, please follow the instructions below. Contact NSA if you are uncertain.
• For all antibody staining: 4 hours minimum; ~24 hours maximum
• For all disintegrative degeneration staining (Amino CuAg): 12-16 hours (keep in the skull)
• For all other staining: 4-16 hours
• For immersion fixation of unperfused tissue: 12-16 hours
Following fixation, tissue should be transferred to a storage buffer. To achieve optimal staining, the recommended guidelines of time to remain in fix and the type of buffer to which to be transferred depend on the stains that will be applied to the tissue.
• Cacodylate Storage Buffer is the preferred buffer for all stains and is REQUIRED for disintegrative
• Phosphate-Buffered Saline (PBS) is acceptable for all stains except the disintegrative
Consult with NSA to confirm the appropriate buffer and fixation time for your study.